Park Lane Extensions | Single Storey House Extensions

Despite their abundance, the fact of the matter is that the process associated with getting a home extension is one which is full of obstacles. There are various pieces of planning permission which must be signed-off by the relevant authorities before work can begin. The years that we have spent as project managers on these types of operations means that Park Lane Extensions are ideal candidates to advise you on the planning permission essentials.

Prior Approval

Before you even contemplate getting in touch with a firm that specialises in property extensions, you need to first seek prior approval from the local council. The reason that many individuals overlook this step is due to the fact that it was only brought in in 2013. However, you will be pleased to learn that it is a relatively simple process. In essence, you must seek written approval from your neighbours regarding the proposed work, and subsequently submit the information to the local authorities.

Planning Permission

Many would agree that obtaining formal planning permission is arguably the most difficult element of getting an extension approved. The reason that this needs to be done is if the proposed work is not in-line with the current Permitted Development regulations. Thankfully, this is not something that you are forced to go through alone. Were you to hire a first-class contractor, such as Park Lane Extensions, you would be able to expect some insightful guidance on the matter.

Party Wall Act

For those of you that did not already know, the Party Wall Act was brought into effect in 1996, and looks to clarify and resolve issues regarding shared walls. Should your extension take place on a wall that connects to an adjoining property, you must ensure that the neighbour is notified in ample amounts of time. They will then need to sign-off on the project; following on from this, surveyors will come out to analyse and record the status of their property. Should any damages occur during the project, you will be liable for the repairs.

Freeholder Permission

There will be some people reading this that are under the impression that should you live in a semi-detached or terraced house which is leasehold, it is impossible to get the work completed - we are pleased to inform you that this could not be further from the truth. Should you find yourself in this situation, you simply must apply for a formal license. This, in case you were wondering, is known as freeholder permission, and can be relatively straightforward if you enlist the help of a qualified solicitor.

A Quick Introduction

Are you someone that currently lives in a detached house, and have recently found yourself exploring the possibility of getting home improvements? Do you feel like your existing house does not receive ample amounts of natural light, and wish to rectify this? If either of these scenarios apply to you, you will undoubtedly be thrilled to hear that Park Lane Extensions is here to help. The wealth of experience that we have amassed means there are few firms which can profess to be able to match the quality of our house extensions, nor the cost-effective nature of our services.

We would love to hear from you should you have any questions, be they about the speed at which we can complete rear extensions, or about the potential risks associated with listed buildings. Our customer support team are well-versed in our operations, and will be happy to provide you with the answers that you seek. The information that you need to get in touch can be found conveniently published on our website’s contact page.